Lerners LLP is a law firm providing professional legal services to individuals, businesses, institutions, and corporations around the world.
It is one of Ontario’s largest law firms with a team of more than 100 lawyers and a support staff of 285 at two locations in Toronto and London, Ontario.
THE BURNING PLATFORM
After adding six new lawyers from another firm to its Toronto office, Lerners had to integrate two information technology infrastructures, two information technology platforms and disparate software packages to service its various clients. Lerners needed to create a vision and an implementation plan for a combined information technology environment that would address the needs of the expanded firm as well as the needs of their clients.
THE BUSINESS CASE
Lerners is dedicated to providing all of its clients exceptional legal counsel. To help the newly enlarged firm achieve this, a stable and robust technology backbone was required. “We wanted to look at technology not simply as a tool, but as a means to enhance our overall practice,” explains Kirk Stevens, Managing Partner at Lerners. A decision was made to retain a technology consulting firm that could help guide Lerners through a time of transition and provide them with a basis from which they could manage their information technology needs into the future.
Triella delivered exceptional value through:
- Comprehensive interviews and focus groups with all levels of Lerners’ stakeholders to clearly understand their technology needs, as well as their clients’ technology needs.
- Detailed best practice insights of how other legal firms were using technology to their and their clients’ advantage.
- A high-level Technology Management Assessment Report complete with both tactical and strategic recommendations.
- Guidance and assistance in the creation of an Information Technology vision for the entire firm.
- Recommendations on enhancing and reorganizing the IT department, including sourcing the right IT leader to move the technology vision forward.
“We wanted to take our technological vision to a new level as well as reconstruct our Information Technology department, and Triella proved to be instrumental. They helped us through a difficult time. Charles Bennett injected himself into a situation fraught with a variety of expectations of technology, and he proved to be very sensitive to the needs of our lawyers, our clients, and our support personnel,” says Kirk Stevens.
Triella provided Lerners IT guidance at a critical phase in its development. Triella delivered an extensive Technology Management Assessment which provided clear reasoning for all
IT decisions. As well, Triella brought its knowledge of and unique insights into the information technology needs of Canadian law firms to help Lerners maximize its IT investments.
Says Kirk Stevens: “Triella understood our business context. They assessed our IT needs, including how we were meeting those needs. They then helped us to organize ourselves to better and more effectively use computer technology in our business.”