This article explains recent issues with Windows 7 problems with performing update checks and downloads, and the methods used to fix the issue.
Over recent months many people have been frustrated that when they run Microsoft Windows 7 updates, it seems to be doing nothing but checking forever, and if it eventually manages to complete the check after many hours, then it sits at the downloading status screen with 0% downloaded for even more hours.
For some time now, there was little evidence of a fix for this and with support for Windows 7 coming to an end, along with any hope for a long awaited official Windows 7 Service Pack 2 release appearing. It seemed that we may have had little choice but to finally upgrade to Windows 10 or be left behind. Don’t give up just yet! We may have the solution to these problems. The methods I have used have had about a 90% rate of success across a multitude of systems tested. Each situation seems to be rather unique, and you may find that you only need one method for success, or you may need to try all of them to get it working, unfortunately for the remaining 10%, we can only wish you the best of luck at this time.
Tested Method #1: Microsoft FixIT Tool & Two KB files
Currently, the following method is what I have tried with varying degrees of success…
1) If the Windows Updating is already in progress and not going anywhere follow this first set of steps to stop and restart the service if needed.
2) Click the Start button and in the search type CMD.
3) In the search results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator. (Administrator permission is required. If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.)
4) In the Command prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
5) net stop wuauserv (You may need to use this command several times if it keeps getting stuck)
6) net start wuauserv
7) To close the Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.
8) Run Windows Update again.
9) If it still gets stuck, repeat above and download and run the Microsoft FIXIT Tool for the Windows Updates and/or Transmission Service which can be found at https://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262 The file name is diagcab
10) If it still gets stuck, repeat above and download and run the following two Microsoft Stand-alone updates 1-KB3138612-x64.msu from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51212 and Windows6.1-KB3145739-x64.msu from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51853
The above method works fine for most systems, but others may also need to attempt the following additional methods…
Tested Method #2: (KB3125574) Updates Rollup Unofficial Service Pack 2
Although Microsoft has not announced an official Windows 7 Service Pack 2 at this time, they have provided an unofficial rollup (KB3125574) of the latest updates which can be found at…
and will require you install a small web-plugin to access the site, and then add the files to the download cart…after this is installed it will have reduced the updates required significantly…and may help resolve the problem with checking and downloading the remaining updates.
Additional suggested Microsoft Update Stand-Alone “KB” files to download and install:
- KB3020369 – April 2015 services Stack Update which can be found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
- KB3172605 – July 2016 Rollup for Windows SP1 which can be found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
- KB3161664 – June 2016 Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers (win32k.sys) found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52794
- KB3125574 – Convenience rollup update Instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574
With any luck one of the above solutions will get your Windows 7 Updates working normally again. Good Luck!
Paul Comtois is a Client Support Specialist at Triella, a technology consulting company specializing in providing technology audits, planning advice, project management and other CIO-related services to small and medium sized firms. Paul can be reached at 647.426.1004. For additional articles, go to www.triella.com/publications. Triella is a VMware Professional Partner, Microsoft Certified Partner, Citrix Solution Advisor – Silver, Dell Preferred Partner, Authorized Worldox Reseller and a Kaspersky Reseller.
© 2016 by Triella Corp. All rights reserved. Reproduction with credit is permitted.