Tik Tok is one of the largest social medial platforms used to create, share, and access an enormous amount of short videos. Creating short videos and sharing them with others instantly are the main reasons for this success and popularity of TikTok. It is particularly popular with the younger generation as it allows them to express themselves more freely with dancing, music and other fun activities.
TikTok is owned by a Beijing-based company ByteDance. Studie shows over 1 billion users are active on the platform. It is one of the most downloaded apps in the world. It is available for both the Apple IOS and Android platforms.
Tik Tok is a free app. Similar to other social media apps, it collects and monetizes user data and information. However, research shows that Tik Tok is taking a more aggressive approach that poses a serious threat to the privacy of its users.
Some countries have a genuine concern about the algorithm used by Tik Tok. The Artificial Intelligence technology it uses could decide who can watch what videos and spread false information to gain political advantage. It has also been reported that Tik Tok is engaging global censorship using their app algorithm.
- TikTok unlawfully collectes the unique device identifiers of its users.
- Tik Tok has more in-depth access to devices than other similar apps.
- It can gather the user’s password and Credit card information.
- Since Tik Tok is owned by a Chinese company, the Chinese government (CCP) can collect and use the information it gathers to profile its base of users, extending the monitoring of people to beyond the borders of China.
If you mobile device is used for business we would recommend against installing and using Tik Tok.
Whether its TikTok or any other social media app, users should be aware about the data they share with any app. If you have any concern about potential risks, you should never use the app.
Here are some options available in TikTok that can add security:
- Don’t use your real name or your age.
- Make your account Private so anyone wants to follow you need your approval
- Turn off “Suggest your account to others” option in settings so that TikTok will not share your content with entire community.
- Disable some privacy options such as “Allow your video to be downloaded”
- Restrict “Who can send you direct messages” only to your friends.
If you need further information, please contact Triella. Triella can also help you secure your work environment to protect against malicious applications and software. Call us now at 647.426.1004 ext.227 to get started!
Indika Ekanayake is the Lead Consultant at Triella. We are a technology consulting company specializing in providing technology audits, planning advice, project management and other CIO-related services to small and medium-sized firms. Indika can be reached at 647.426.1004. For additional articles, go to our blog page. Triella is a VMware Professional Partner, Microsoft Certified Partner, Citrix Solution Advisor – Silver, Dell Preferred Partner, Authorized Worldox Reseller and a Webroot Reseller.
© 2021 by Triella Corp. All rights reserved. Reproduction with credit is permitted.